James began his public accounting career over 30 years ago in the Saskatoon office of the international accounting firm of Deloitte (formerly known as Deloitte & Touche). After reaching the position of senior manager, he moved to Regina and joined another international accounting firm, Ernst & Young, where he also held the position of senior manager. While with these two Big Four accounting and business advisory firms, he worked with public companies, cooperatives, crown corporations, not-for-profit organizations and owner-managed enterprises.
After a number of years with the two international firms, James realized that his professional interests lie with working closely with entrepreneurs. In 1999, he established the firm that evolved into SRG Chartered Professional Accountants in order to focus his practice on the entrepreneur.
Today, James is actively involved in all areas of financial statement preparation, income tax planning, and compliance work for clients in a wide variety of industries and professions across Western Canada. His primary professional interest is in assisting professionals and entrepreneurs achieve their goals by formulating integrated financial plans that include sound business advice, and personal and corporate income tax solutions. He is especially interested in engagements that involve preparing and executing business succession plans.
In 2004, James was honoured by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Saskatchewan (ICAS) with the Fellow Chartered Accountant (FCA) designation. The FCA is awarded to members of ICAS who have rendered meritorious service to the Chartered Accountancy profession in Saskatchewan.
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of Saskatchewan (1987)
- Chartered Accountant, Saskatchewan (1988), Alberta (2005), British Columbia (2006)
- Certified Financial Planner (1998)
Professional and Community Activities:
- Member – Uniform Rules Standing Committee (Ethics) (Current)
- Member – Independence Task Force
- Saskatchewan Representative- Ethics Standards Harmonization Committee
- Member – Council
- Member – Bylaws and Opinions Committee (current)
- Member – Professional Conduct Committee
- Member – Exposure Draft Review Committee
Board and Executive Member:
- Riverside Country Club
- Family Service Foundation
- Family Service Saskatoon
- Queen City South United Soccer Association
- Saskatoon Co-operative Association Limited
- Junior Achievement of Saskatoon and Saskatchewan